St Albans Chess Club
|Adults & Older Juniors|
|Monday, 7.30pm to 11.00pm|
|Contact: Aidan Ellis,|
|Monday, 6.15pm to 7.15pm (during school term)|
|Contact: Matt Ball & Michael Flatt|
Christmas Handicap Competition
24 Dec. The popular Handicap competition, held at County Club on 17th December, attracted 29 players which included one guest and three promising players from our Early Knights Junior Club.
The time handicap attempted to 'even the odds' between players of widely different playing level. It worked well and provided some entertaining pairings between players who, otherwise, would have been unlikely to meet across the board.
That said, the clear winner was Peter Roberson (6/6) who was barely under any pressure despite playing all his games with the maximum time handicap (4 minutes against his opponent's 16 minutes).
Sharing second place (4½/6) were George Angel (ECF 108) and Neil Willmott (ECF 179).
Then, sharing fourth place (4/6) were five players - Keith Feldman (ECF 88), John Gemmell (ECF 158), James Palmer (ECF 139), Katie Ball (ECF 70), Jeremy Fraser-Mitchell (ECF 174).
St Albans Chess Club will be closed on Monday 8th April 2019
06 Nov. The County Club, our regular venue, will be unavailable on the 8th April due a private booking. Fortunately, no home league matches were scheduled that evening. The closure is recorded on the club's fixture list.
Players Needed For Hertfordshire County Teams
01 Nov. Currently, Hertfordshire Chess Association runs three county teams, for which the captains are keen to recruit some additional players.
- Herts U160 compete in the EACU League. Team captain is Mike Price (Stevenage)
- Herts U140 compete in the SCCU League. Team captain is Sanjay Vig (Watford)
- Herts U120 compete in the SCCU League. Team captain is Peter Baker (St Albans)
In the East Anglian Chess Union (EACU) matches take place on a Sunday at a central venue in Newmarket, Suffolk. On three days during the season, each county plays two others, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
In the Southern Counties Chess Union (SCCU) individual matches are played on a Saturday afternoon at a venue hired by the home team.
Both the EACU and SCCU competitions, which occur between October and March, are qualifying events for the ECF County Championships.The National Stages are run as a knockout from April with the Final for all divisions usually takes place in July at a central venue near Warwick.
County league tables can be viewed via these links:
Cheshire Trophy: St Albans 10 v 10 Watford
25 Sept. The annual Cheshire Trophy match took place last night at the County Club. It was played over 20 boards with Fischer time controls (70 minutes and 10 second increment from the first move).
The scores were close throughout the evening with never more than one or two points between the two teams. It was only with the conclusion of the last game that the match was determined to be drawn (10 points each) and Watford as current holders retain the Trophy for another year.
Details of the teams and individual game scores are available through link Cheshire Trophy Results 2018.
Annual Subscription & ECF Membership
21 Sept. Club members are reminded that annual subscriptions are due and should be paid to the Treasurer, Simon Narbeth, before the end of September to qualify for the reduced rates. The higher rates, which apply from 1st October, are shown in brackets.
- Adult membership £50 (£60),
- Junior (under-18) £25 (£30),
- Full time student or unwaged adult £25 (£30).
Active players are also advised to take out or renew ECF membership so that the Club will avoid being invoiced by the ECF for grading fees incurred by unregistered players.
- To join the ECF see: Guide to joining the ECF
- To renew our ECF membership see: Guide to renewing your ECF membership
League & Cup Fixtures
18 Sept. This season's fixtures for HCA League, HCA Cup and H&D League are now available on the Herts Chess Results website: chess-results.e2-e4.co.uk
Details of matches involving St Albans have been copied onto the club website: St Albans Fixtures 2018-19
11th Sept. Last night at the County Club, IM Peter Roberson gave a start-of-season simultaneous against 24 club players. His opponents comprised the full range of members from the most experienced of adults in the Senior Club through to the newest of recruits in the Early Knights Junior Club.
Play started shortly after 7.45pm and continued till 10.30pm.
Congratulations to Peter in achieving a perfect score: 24 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses.
The St Albans Chess Club returns after the Summer Break to County Club, Ridgmont Road on Monday 3rd September. The Early Knights, however, will not meet until the following Monday (10th September).
Some notable dates for the diary are:
- Mon 3rd Sept: The first session sees the Laver's Ladder Final, held over from last season, and the presentation of the trophy to the winnner.
- Mon 10th Sept: IM Peter Roberson's Simultaneous Exhibition against club members over 20 boards. Early Knights and adult club members are all invited to play.
- Sun 16 Sept: Planned release of Herts League & Cup fixtures.
- Mon 17th Sept: The Silver Rook Club Championship, in its new format, commences with the first of three rapidplay events to select eight qualifiers to the Standard Play Knockout Finals.
- Sat 22nd & Sun 23rd Sept: Hertfordshire Individual Championship (Capel, Burn U170 and Bunce U135) at Hertford Chess Club.
- Mon 24th Sept: Cheshire Trophy 20-board match against Watford. We are at home this year.
- Sun 30th Sept: Deadline for subscriptions before late fee applies.
Royston Chess Club have changed venue. They are now meet at: Retreat Room (upstairs), Coombes Community Centre, Burns Road, Royston SG8 5PT