Monday 6.15 to 7.15pm during school term.
County Club, 29 Ridgmont Road, St Albans, AL1 3AG.
Early Knights Junior Chess Club welcomes boys and girls who are typically aged between 6 and 12 and who already know at least the basics of how to play chess (as minimum all new joiners are expected to know the rules, how the pieces move and be able to play a friendly game against an opponent before they come to the club).
Our members have the opportunity to play regularly against a wide variety of junior opponents within the club and also receive group coaching sessions. Our more advanced juniors have been selected for Hertfordshire county teams and also progress to the latter stages of the of the Delancey UK Schools Chess Challenge.
Some of the older players like to stay on for the start of the senior club where they compete in the popular Lavers Ladder.
All our places are taken for the 2018/19 season. We have welcomed back many of our members from last year and a small number of new joiners.
These are the dates for Early Knights for the remainder of the school year:
- Monday February 11 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday February 18 - half term: no Early Knights
- Monday February 25 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday March 4 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday March 11 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday March 18 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday March 25 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday April 1 - Early Knights as usual
- Monday 8 April - school Easter holidays no Early Knights
- Monday 15 April - school Easter holidays no Early Knights
- Monday 22 April - Easter Monday no Early Knights
- Monday 29 April - Early Knights as usual
- Monday 6 May - bank holiday no Early Knights
- Monday 13 May - Early Knights as usual
- Monday 20 May - Early Knights as usual, this will be the last Early Knights of the school year
- Monday 27 May - bank holiday no Early Knights
Joining Early Knights
Please note that all our places are taken for the 2018/19 season.
The popularity of the Early Knights Club has obliged us to introduce a waiting list for new members and we would like to hear from you. Please register your interest in being added to the waiting list early via the organisers' email link below and include the following information:
School year: (for example: year 2, year 3 etc)
How many years have they been playing chess?
Do they play in a school club / have they attended any training sessions / do they play online?
Skill level - which one of the following most closely matches your child's chess skill level?
A - Absolute beginner
B - Knows the rules, how the pieces move and can play a basic friendly against an opponent
C - Knows a few openings, basic tactics, key end games
D - Has experience of playing in tournaments, knows how to use a clock and can record the moves
Please note that the club does not cater for absolute beginners. Parents whose children need to learn the basics may want to help them with lessons on a website such as ChessKid.
Our annual subscription fee per member is £25.00 (Sept 2018 to May 2019).