1. The Club shall be called "St Albans Chess Club" and shall be affiliated to the Hertfordshire Chess Association. The Objects of the Club are to foster the playing of chess in St Albans and its environs and to provide facilities within St Albans where members may meet and play chess.
2. Membership shall be open to all, subject to the discretion of the committee, provided that the appropriate subscription is tendered on demand and that entry to the Club is not temporarily restricted. If entry is restricted, then applications for membership shall be placed on a waiting list and processed in order of receipt.
3. The supreme authority of the Club is vested in the General Meeting which alone shall have the power to change the Constitution. A quorum for a General Meeting shall be 10 members or one third of the Club membership whichever is the less. To carry any proposal at a General Meeting a simple majority of those present and voting is required except that to carry a proposal affecting the constitution a majority of at least two to one of those members present and voting is required. The Secretary shall notify all members when a General Meeting is to be held. He shall give 14 days notice of the date, time, venue and agenda.
4. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held between June and September and shall appoint a Committee comprising the following officers of the Club:
i) The President, who shall chair General and Committee Meetings,
ii) The Secretary, who shall maintain and preserve the records of the Club, especially the Minute Book, and be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Club,
iii) The Treasurer, who shall be responsible for the management of the Club's finances,
iv) The Congress Secretary, who shall be responsible for the organisation of the annual St Albans Chess Congress.
v) Further Committee Members may be elected by the AGM, either without portfolio or to fulfil specific roles.
vi) Team captains shall, at the time of appointment, state whether or not they wish to serve on the Committee.
An Honorary Auditor shall also be appointed who shall not be an officer of the Club. The Committee shall retire annually and shall be eligible for re-election at the AGM. Any club member may propose an item for inclusion on the agenda of the AGM provided it reaches the Secretary in writing 21 days prior to the AGM.
5. A Special General Meeting shall be called by the Secretary within 4 weeks of receiving a written proposal signed by at least ten members or one third of the membership whichever is the less. No business shall be discharged except that for which the meeting was called. If such proposals are received 4 weeks or less before the AGM then, at the discretion of the Committee, they may be included in the AGM.
6. The Club shall be represented on the Executive of the Hertfordshire Chess Association by two delegates. One shall be the Secretary (or his nominated deputy) and the other shall be appointed by the Committee.
7. The Club Committee shall meet in the 3 weeks following the AGM and at other times as required. A quorum shall be 4 members. The Committee shall have the power to fill any casual vacancy in the Committee and to co-opt onto the Committee additional members. The Committee shall have the power to suspend from the Club until the next General meeting any member deemed to be acting against the interests of the Club.
8. Funds shall be expended wholly and exclusively for the furtherance of the Objects of the club. The Treasurer shall prepare a balance sheet and statement of income and expenditure, suitably supported by vouchers, at 30th June each year and shall present these duly audited to the AGM. The funds shall be held in a Bank or Building Society account in the name of the Club and withdrawals shall be made against any two signatures of the President, Secretary and Treasurer. The Club Committee shall ensure that the money held in the Congress Account does not fall below the minimum amount set by the Congress Committee.
9. Any funds remaining on dissolution of the Club after satisfying any outstanding debts and liabilities shall be given to the Hertfordshire Chess Association for the furtherance of the Objects of that Association.